REPRESSIVE Islamic beliefs on women, homosexuality and freedom of expression have opened a chasm between British Muslims and the rest of society, according to new research.
A study carried out by ICM for Channel 4 revealed shocking findings which included:
- Four in 10 Muslims believe a wife should ALWAYS obey her husband;
- More than half UK Muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal
- One in four British Muslims wants Islamic sharia law to replace British law
- Only a third of Muslims would inform police if they knew someone who was getting involved with people who support terrorism in Syria
- One in three Muslims refuse to completely condemn STONING to death in adultery cases
- One in three Muslims refuse to condemn acts of violence against people who mock Mohammed
The revelations form the basis of a Channel 4 documentary, presented by Trevor Phillips, called What British Muslims Really Think.
And Mr Philips, former Chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, draws some grim but honest conclusions.
He says: “The integration of Britain’s Muslims will probably be the hardest task we’ve ever faced. It will require the abandonment of the milk-and-water multiculturalism still so beloved of many, and the adoption of a far more muscular approach to integration.
“I thought Europe’s Muslims would gradually blend into Britain’s landscape. I should have known better.
A Channel 4 spokesman said the survey was commissioned to get the views from British Muslims themselves rather than those who claim to speak on their behalf; and, in particular to try to understand why some young Muslims are being drawn to violence.